Like us on facebook

Like us on facebook
Like us on facebook

Thursday, October 31, 2013

The Holidays Are Approaching!

The Holidays Are Approaching!

    Growing up as an American, I was always grateful for the fact that we got to celebrate such awesome holidays like Christmas, Thanksgiving, and ESPECIALLY Halloween. As we get older though, the value and meanings of these holidays change. For instance, when I was a kid I used to love celebrating Thanksgiving because that meant a few days off of school, and all of the bacon-wrapped green beans and ham with pineapples I wanted! Now Thanksgiving means a few days off to spend time with the family. We all can take time out of our crazy busy lives to just enjoy each other’s company.


   Christmas used to mean a day of the year that I got all new toys and clothes (and quite possibly over-fill myself with another huge feast). Now I worry about making sure my little one gets all that she wants for it. I look forward to hearing the same corny jokes from an uncle or being attacked by the little kids. I look forward to feeling like a family.


   Out of all of the holidays though, my favorite by far is Halloween! As a child it was always fun, because Halloween meant that I got to dress up, wear my costume to school, and stay up late so I could roam the streets collecting candy. For most people, this is the holiday that they “grow out of.” They retire the old costumes and just sit at home passing out candy to the new rush of trick-or-treaters. For me though, it has been quite the opposite!


   When I was in high school, I began volunteering at the Boy’s and Girl’s Club Haunted Warehouse. Back then, I worked as an actress in various horror scenes to scare people. I was also assisting in doing the special effects makeup on the volunteers. The next year, I started being a makeup artist, as well as being an actress or tour guide through the haunted house. Volunteering each year with all of these people to help raise money for the Boy’s and Girl’s Club has turned Halloween into a much more special holiday. I love the fact that even though all of the volunteers come from different lives as teachers, students, construction workers, coaches, etc. we can all come together and be whoever we want to be! One day I’m a nurse, the next I’m a clown. It’s almost as though it has turned into self-expression. I absolutely love doing the makeup for everyone, as well. I would post pictures, but I wouldn’t want to scare any of the readers away. ;)


   So this is how holidays have changed for me between then and now. I love all of these just as much as I did when I was a child.. just in a different way. How have the holidays changed for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment