Like us on facebook

Like us on facebook
Like us on facebook

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Secrets of the South

I don’t know about you, but before my arrival to Arkansas, whenever I thought about the South I immediately pictured in my head the vast deserts of Texas. I wouldn’t have imagined in a million years that the South of the United States comprises the so-called “Natural State.”

This area of Arkansas is absolutely the opposite of a desert: hickory, fern and oak woods surround Fort Smith and give its inhabitants the opportunity to enjoy many outdoors activities.




Some of the international students and I, thanks to our dearly missed Sam, could experience this magnificent display of nature in our trip to Mount Magazine, the tallest mountain in the state. Mount Magazine is in the midst of the Ozark National Forest, and it is the home of several beautiful hiking trails. 



I'm looking forward to other day discovering the many wonders of Arkansas, such as the Northwest Arkansas and Little Rock trips. I can't wait!

------ o ------

No sé vosotros, pero antes de llegar a Arkansas, siempre que pensaba sobre el sur de Estados Unidos imaginaba inmediatamente los vastos desiertos de Texas. Nunca me hubiera imaginado que el sur también incluye lo que llaman el “Natural State”, el estado natural o de la naturaleza.

Esta zona de Arkansas es totalmente lo contrario a un desierto: bosques de nogales, helechos y robles rodean Fort Smith y ofrecen a sus habitantes la oportunidad de disfrutar de infinidad de actividades al aire libre.



Algunos de los estudiantes internacionales y yo, gracias a nuestro añorado Sam, pudimos ser testigos de este magnífico despliegue de la naturaleza en nuestra excursión a Mount Magazine, la montaña más alta del estado. Mount Magazine está en medio del parque nacional de Ozark, donde se encuentran varias rutas de senderismo preciosas.



Estoy deseando que llegue el momento de hacer otras excursiones para descubrir las miles de maravillas que ofrece Arkansas, como el noroeste del estado o su capital, Little Rock. ¡Viva Arkansas!

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad that you changed your perception of AR after you arrived. I think that the nature here in this state is one of my favorite things about living here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also really enjoyed the trip to Mount Magazine with Iris and my lovely friends. It was the first time I ever went hiking, too (although it was such a short hike!). The views were simply breathtaking and even more beautiful to take pictures with friends.

    ReplyDelete