Like us on facebook

Like us on facebook
Like us on facebook

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Proud to be an Arkansan

Life at UAFS is always.. well.. interesting. I stay pretty busy juggling work, school, student organizations, and maintaining some sort of a social life. (Keyword “some sort”) I’ve spent the last 4-5 years of my life living in Fort Smith, and I think it was one of the best things to happen to me to move here. I graduated from a wonderful high school here in town, Southside High School, where I met my life role model that has inspired me to carry on her profession. I’m majoring in Spanish with teacher licensure here at UAFS, and I plan to teach Spanish to high school students.


From 9th-12th grade I was a part of a college preparatory program here at UAFS called Upward Bound (UB). The summer after I graduated, UB assigned me a work study position in the Office of International Relations where I continue to work as a student worker. Being that I have been on this campus since my 9th grade year of junior high school, I find it fitting that I can act as some sort of ambassador for our international students. I love to be able to show off our beautiful campus, as well as helping everyone find a way to adjust. There is something here to love for everyone!


Rasila speaking to the class


Last Friday, October 4th, I had the pleasure of taking one of our international students from Niger to be a guest speaker at my old high school. She spoke to a French III Pre-AP class (held by my old French teacher) about her life in Niger and how she uses French in her everyday life. I looooved getting to show Rasila what life was like in an American high school! She got to watch the morning announcements (a mini-news broadcast held each morning), as well as seeing all of the excitement and decorations for their homecoming week. We got there right between classes so she even got the experience of having to push through the crowds to get to her class on time. (One of the least fun parts of high school, but definitely an important factor).

I look forward to more opportunities in the future to show our students what a great place Fort Smith and UAFS is. I’m proud to have come from this small town in the small state of Arkansas. J


a photo with Madame Goodfellow- Southside visit

3 comments:

  1. I am proud to be a Arkansan:)
    I love being in here and I love UAFS:)
    So far!Lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. So far so good, everyone is so friendly and enthusiastic, I'm glad I chose UAFS to be where I'm going to spend the next 4 years in! Go Lions! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's people like you that helps make my experience here, Danyell :)

    ReplyDelete