Like us on facebook

Like us on facebook
Like us on facebook

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

The importance of a rainbow

A couple of days ago, in my way to class I saw a double rainbow in the sky. I thought "Oh, man, I don't have my camera with me and I have to go all the way up to the third floor to get it... bah! I don't feel like it." But then I looked at the sky again and realized this view was worth a few steps, for it would dissipate in some minutes forevermore. Now I can show you this wonderful image thanks to that second thought.



But, what is so important about having the picture of a rainbow? It is simple a symbol of us being here now. A rainbow is the "carpe diem" of the skies, seize the moment! 

I was an exchange student like you are in the United States three years ago, at East Stroudsburg University of Pennsylvania. I was 22 when I first got there, I had one year ahead of me, everything was possible… but, you know what? At the end of the year I realized I hadn’t done half of the things I wanted to experience with the excuse of having so much time left. Some days I was just tired, others I was homesick, most of them I was shy. Mere pretexts!

I have been given another opportunity to come to the US and redeem myself, but that might not always be the case. You are here now; you have to take a picture of that rainbow.

Be responsible, be prudent, but do not be afraid of trying new things. Even if it is… 


Experience Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, everything that you can! Ride a mechanical bull! Travel around! Enjoy the present!

And when you are feeling down, remember, in order to have a rainbow in the sky… it has to rain sometimes.


----- o -----

Hace un par de días, de camino a clase vi un arcoíris doble. Pensé “Vaya, no tengo la cámara encima, y tengo que subir tres pisos para cogerla… ¡bah! No me apetece”. Pero entonces mire al cielo de nuevo  y me di cuenta de que ese espectáculo merecía el subir unos cuantos peldaños, dado que se disiparía para siempre en unos pocos minutos. Ahora os puedo mostrar esta maravillosa imagen, gracias a haber recapacitado.



Pero, ¿por qué es tan importante tener una foto de un arcoíris? Simplemente, porque es un símbolo de nuestra estancia aquí y ahora. Un arcoíris es el “carpe diem” de los cielos, ¡aprovecha el momento!

Como vosotros, yo fui una estudiante de intercambio hace tres años, en la Universidad de East Stroudsburg en Pensilvania. Tenía 22 años cuando llegue, tenía todo el curso por delante, todo era posible… pero, ¿sabéis que? Al final del curso me di cuenta de que no había hecho ni la mitad de cosas que me había propuesto, con la excusa de que me quedaba mucho tiempo. Algunos días porque estaba cansada, otros porque echaba de menos mi casa, la mayoría por timidez. ¡Meros pretextos!

Tengo la suerte de haber tenido otra oportunidad de venir a Estados Unidos y redimirme, pero ese no siempre será el caso. Estáis aquí ahora, tenéis que sacarle una foto a ese arcoíris.

Sé responsable, sé prudente, pero no tengas miedo de probar cosas nuevas. Incluso si se trata de… 

Caimán


Vive la experiencia de Halloween, Acción de Gracias, Navidad, ¡todo lo que puedas! ¡Móntate en un toro mecánico! ¡Viaja! ¡Disfruta del momento presente!


Y, cuando no te sientas bien, recuerda, para que haya un arcoíris en el cielo… tiene que llover de vez en cuando.

2 comments: