Like us on facebook

Like us on facebook
Like us on facebook

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

When I first arrived to Fort Smith...

When I first arrived to Fort Smith, I was scared. It wasn’t my first time away from home, in a foreign country. It wasn’t even my first time in the United States. But there is always this sort of vertigo accompanying a new adventure, with disregard of how many times you embark.

Nevertheless, the good news about fearing the unknown is that it only lasts for as long as you don’t know what you are facing. Furthermore, here in the South, that only lasts for the blink of an eye, because...

 Welcome to the home of Southern Hospitality!



When I arrived, I was picked up at the airport, somebody helped me to move into my apartment and do my grocery shopping, and another person assisted me in the opening my bank account and all the bureaucratic formalities… Everybody was welcoming and helpful. Also, the orientation days which took place before classes started were incredibly useful and allowed me to realize what to expect from UAFS, Fort Smith and myself.

Making new friends wasn’t an issue at all: not only can you rely on the solidarity of the other international students, who are feeling exactly the way you feel, but also on the community’s. The American-International Activities Council and Central Christian Church hosted a welcoming party for all of us, in which I made acquaintance of many Americans who were genuinely willing to help me adapt to this whole new world.


I guess what I’m trying to say is it is normal to feel insecure at first, but it passes. The nervousness leaves place to the excitement, and then, before you can even realize, you start to feel at home. Of course you will miss your family, your friends… your food! But, at the end of the day, you will also acknowledge that, here in Fort Smith, you do have another family.

------ o ------

Cuando llegué a Fort Smith, estaba asustada. No era mi primera vez lejos de casa, en un país extraño. Ni siquiera era mi primera vez en Estados Unidos. Pero siempre existe un cierto vértigo que acompaña a cada nueva aventura, sin importar cuántas veces embarques.

Sin embargo, lo bueno del miedo a lo desconocido es que solo dura lo que tardas en conocer a qué te estás enfrentando. Es más, aquí en el sur de estados Unidos, eso se consigue en un abrir y cerrar de ojos, porque...

 ¡Bienvenidos a la cuna de la conocida "Southern Hospitality"!



Cuando llegué, me recogieron en el aeropuerto, alguien me ayudó a mudarme a mi apartamento y me llevó de compras, y otras persona me llevó a abrirme la cuenta bancaria y me asistió con otros trámites burocráticos... Todo el mundo fue acogedor y servicial. Además, la orientación que tuvo lugar antes del incicio de las clases fue realmente útil y me abrió los ojos en cuanto a qué esperar de la ciudad, de la universidad, y de mí misma.

Hacer amigos nuevos no fue problema alguno: no solo puedes contar con la solidaridad de los demás alumnos internacionales, que están experimentando las mismas emociones que tú, pero también con la del resto de la comunidad. La organización llamada "American-International Activities Council" y la iglesia Central Christian organizaron una fiesta de bienvenida para nosotros, en la cual conocí a muchos estadounidenses que estaban genuinamente dispuestos a ayudarme a adaptarme a este mundo totalmente nuevo para mí.


Lo que quiero decir es que es normal sentirse inseguro al principio, pero que pasa. El nerviosismo deja paso al entusiasmo, y entonces, antes de que te des cuenta, empiezas a sentirte como en casa. Obviamente, echarás de menos a tu familia y a tus amigos... ¡y la comida! Pero, al fin y al cabo, te percatarás de que aquí, en Fort Smith, también tienes una familia.

No comments:

Post a Comment