Like us on facebook

Like us on facebook
Like us on facebook

Monday, October 28, 2013

'We are not in Kansas anymore"


"We must be over the rainbow!" Well, not quite, but i'm not in Spain anymore, I am in the USA. And it is pretty cool. Some days ago I was having dinner with some of my new friends here, and looking at my table I realized how lucky I am: girls from the US, Niger, Ivory Coast, Vietnam and Spain sharing their times, their views of the world, their experience at UAFS... their lives. It is a neat picture.

However, I can't help but to notice that some of the exchange students are almost always hanging out with people from their own countries and missing this multinational tables. I get it, though: one can get really homesick being thousands of miles away from home, and it feels good to be around neighbors and speak our own tongue. But, in my opinion, to make the most out of an international experience it is recommendable to mingle with both locals and people from other nationalities.

After all, the aim of an exchange program is to gain multicultural experience, and it is a great opportunity to improve exponentially our English skills. Let's be over the rainbow, guys!

1 comment:

  1. I could not agree more! The entire purpose of studying abroad is to immerse yourself into the culture and embrace "being over the rainbow."

    ReplyDelete