Like us on facebook

Like us on facebook
Like us on facebook

Monday, December 2, 2013

Black Friday Ins & Outs

The Black Friday Ins & Outs




            There’s nothing like being stuffed full of turkey and getting pushed around in a store to save a few bucks. (sarcasm noted!) Black Friday is something that is becoming increasingly popular as a tradition on the day following Thanksgiving where masses of people rush to their favorite stores to get some savings on their holiday shopping. The tradition started in Philadelphia in the US in 2005, and has now spread to Canada, Puerto Rico, and Mexico. When it first began, shoppers would begin lining up about 3am on Black Friday to be the first in when the doors opened at 6 am. Each year the opening times have gotten earlier and earlier where this year stores opened up at 8:00pm on Thanksgiving Day!


Now here are the issues with Black Friday. One: that’s super early! Sleep deprivation mixed with pushy people is an awful combination! Two: people get crazy. I can’t tell you how many videos I watched about people shoving each other. The amount of Friday madness has been growing more and more violent each year. Throwing people and objects out of the way to save money on a flat screen, xbox, toy, game, etc. Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not talking about like $5. For instance, someone I know waited in line at Toys-R-Us for 4 hours in the cold in order to save $200 on the toddler jeep for her granddaughter.


            Now I know what you’re thinking, “why would anyone go through that??”, and I used to think the same thing!... until I went. This year was the second year that I braved the storm of Black Friday, and I must say you learn a bit each time. So here they are at last. My personal tips if you decide to shop during this crazy time.

  • Check sales papers! The newspapers released on Thanksgiving always have TONS of sales papers. Look around and see what it is that you are wanting. Maybe even take the ones from the stores you are planning to visit with you! (Just in case the shelf doesn’t have the discounted price and you forgot how much it was listed as).
  •  Bring a buddy. I’m sure you have all heard that the buddy system is safest.
  • Unless you’re going to be one of the people camping outside a store, don’t get your hopes up that you are going to get that new flat screen or laptop. Although, some stores are doing two separate merchandise releases, so it would be better to try the second time around.
  • If you are looking to save some money, but want to avoid the crowds then this is probably the most important one! The best time for you to go is between 5 & 7am. That is the time period that people are at home powernapping. They shopped from about midnight until 3am and then nap then return to get the morning door buster deals. I found this one out this year, and will definitely go during this time from now on!



So there’s my tips! If I were an international student in the US this is definitely a crazy tradition that I would want to be a part of. So if you do plan on participating next year, I hope that my tips here will help you to stay safe and shop smart. ;)

1 comment:

  1. I went to a mall from 6 to 8 pm and no sales left were available :( Just at Old Navy. But that's good, I saved some money too... by not buying anything!! :D How did your shopping go?

    ReplyDelete